Quote "To formulate hypotheses about a reader's strategies, the diagnostic teacher selects a text that is expected to be in the borderline area, or moderately difficult (90% oral accuracy and 60% comprehension), for the student," (pg. 98).
Reflection I think when teachers are trying to test students to find out where that child's reading level is at, this is what the teacher needs to do. You need to do more than one so you can find out the levels of the student (independent, instructional, and frustration).
Quote "Both oral reading analysis (of print processing) and silent reading analysis (of meaning processing) result in a more comprehensive understanding of the strategies students use to interpret the text as they are reading. However, the diagnostic teacher usually evaluates either print processing or meaning processing, depending on the students' major concern," (pg. 98-99).
Reflection I really don't know too much about this. I've heard a little about it here and there, I think or maybe I do know more about it than I know. I feel sometimes when it comes to these topics when I'm reading about it I'm really lost but then when we discuss it in class I know exactly what is going on.
Quote "The student may use various sources of information when she encounters an unknown word in her reading: (a) the situational context and her experience; (b)the way words sound in conversational speech, that is, whether the words make grammatical sense; (c) graphic information; and (d) phonic information. Using the situational context and her own experience, she might try various words to see if they make sense in the context of the sentence and the story," (pg. 100).
Reflection I think this is a good thing for a student to do. If a student doesn't know a word then why not go about it in another way to try and figure it out. I can remember doing some of these thing, even now.
Quote "Some students simply call words and fail to correct miscues. They believe that reading is orally reading words without constructing meaning. They are unaware of the mistakes they make because they are not reading to make sense of text," (pg. 103).
Reflection When I was in one of my learn and serves there was a student who knew hot to say words but had no idea what these words meant. The teacher would ask him questions about what he read and he could never answer her. Now know what I know now it makes sense that he didn't understand what he was reading.
Quote "Asking the student to think aloud gives an indication of how the student is processing text. The think-aloud process shows the diagnostic teacher the strategies that the student uses to make sense of what she is reading," (pg. 108).
Reflection I really like the think-aloud process. I feel you could gain a lot of information from your student that way. I'm curious to know if anyone in our class has ever done this before?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment