1. "Diagnostic lessons provide a tool to assess the amount of growth that actually occurs as a result of the instruction and instructional adjustments," (pg. 121)
Reflection: I'd like to see this done in person. I'd like to see this because I'm not sure if I know what they are talking about?!?!
2. "The student's mediated reading level determines the level at which the student can effeciently be taught. This level is determined by evaluating the 'distance between the actual developmental level as determined by independent problem solving under adult guidance or in collaboration with more capable peers," (pg. 121).
Reflection: I put this quote down because it made me think how many students mediating reading level in the classroom are different but the teacher has to teach a certain level. This certain way might not reach out to all her/his students. How is a teacher supposed to reach out to all her/his students?
3. "When the teacher conducts a diagnostic lesson, however, her primary goal is to teach the student," (pg. 126).
Reflection: I think no matter what the teacher is doing for the student, the primary goal is for the students to learn and to grow from the teacher. I think that teachers forget that sometimes because they get caught up in testing and everything else they "have" to do.
4. "Reading progress is indicated by a decrease in miscues and an increase in the number of questions answered correctly," (pg. 126).
Reflection: This to me makes perfect sense. I hope that I get to see all my students make progress like this because it would be such a great feeling. There is a girl in my pre-k class who couldn't identify any of her colors or shapes when she entered in the beginning of the year so I worked with her every morning. Now she can tell me her shapes and colors and it brings the biggest smile to my face.
5. "She focuses on teaching rather than testing to reveal those instructional adjustments that produce reading change for a particular student," (pg. 132).
Reflection: I really enjoyed this quote. I feel that today there is so much testing that some teachers loose focus on what they are in the classroom for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Reading progress is indicated by a decrease in miscues and an increase in the number of questions answered correctly," (pg. 126).
ReplyDeleteNo doubt this is the way to determind if a student is making progress. I like this quote because it is short and sweet but direct and to the point. Went the students pick up their pace and answer the questions correctly then the reading difficulity should increase.